Sunday, March 22, 2009

Rest


I have worked every day since March 5
Long days
Correspondence, pictures, moving houses, laundry, taking dictation, planning, writing
obsessing over edits, and staying up late to work on the website with friends in the U.S.
Late nights with a rat just out of reach in my kitchen
A dragon fly slobbering around the light
making weird shadows
and mosquitoes that want to eat my feet
The gecko ate a cockroach
It was a fight
and he won
I like my work but even good work wears until you forget that it is good

Today it all waited.
It was the wildlife preserve
where animals are in “enclosures” not “cages”
(Enclosures that look a lot like cages)
A crocodile, a python, a lot of monkeys, and two crows with broken wings
A river I would like to canoe
and lush green paths where you can walk slow and not care
Friends and a playhouse meant for kids
Jazz music afterwards with something to drink

There are a thousand things I could have done
A thousand things I “should have” done
And a thousand things it is good I have not done
Because it is good to rest

3 comments:

  1. Rest is good. Sometimes its hard to keep it in its propper place on our priority list...a place that is higher than most people think.

    Do dragonflies really slobber over there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sort of slobbering is not very wet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Micah sees animals in Africa.

    M is for monkey
    I is for iguana
    C is for crocodile
    A is for antelope
    H is for hyena

    ReplyDelete