Sunday, April 12, 2009

Deported


So it would seem that I have been "exposed" which is an odd thing since I was never hiding.

It would seem that I have used "unpopular ways" to raise funds which is odd because being unpopular is not a very good way to raise funds.

A government minister has deemed me to be a threat to "public safety and order" which is odd because I have committed no offense against anyone.

I have been sent away from a country I have grown to love and returned to a country I have always loved. And now I must say that I hope Malawi will one day be blessed with leadership that does not use the police force to intimidate those who advocate other policies. I pray for the day when the people of Malawi will be blessed with the freedom and safety I have returned to in the U.S.

As I was being rushed around from one police office to the next, it occurred to me that perhaps Mr. Nyondo should add a section about freeing the police from political influence to the government organization portion of his policies.

But for those who have expressed concern, I'm fine. I have "toured" the Lilongwe jail, and been given an up-close demonstration of how the police work from the junior officers to some of the most senior levels. Certain of them were very professional and others demonstrated petty corruption (taking money from my wallet) and brazen disregard for the law (seizing my computer without a warrant). They have given me a more thorough insight into both the ugliness and the potential of their legal system than I could have gained in any other way.

To those who have treated me well, thank you. To the others, you are forgiven, but I pray that the time will soon come when you are no longer able to oppress those who are vulnerable.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are safe - sad that it has to be that way. It has to be tough to leave there under such circumstances. Praying for you and the people of Malawi.
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are problems, i must say with the way mr nyondo is selling hsi policies - they do appear, at times, to be out of touch with what malawians really need.

    it is also sad to hear that you experienced the inhumane side of our 'professional' police - and the corruption too. however, can i ask, what was your crime? is it true that you were here [malawi] as a tourist and yet you did things that a tourist is not meant to engage in? if this is true even in the US you would not be on the right side of immigration laws.

    Isaac Cheke Ziba - Malawi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isaac, I was accused of working "for gain" (pay) on a tourist visa and of operating an unregistered firm (NGO) in Malawi both of which are simply not true. I've never had a paying job in Malawi and I sure haven't run an organization. So they said I was a risk to "public safety and order" which is the legal standard for the Minister to deport. But those who know me could tell you that it's also a false -- even amusing -- accusation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Micah, I'm glad that you're alright. It is so sad that the current regime is so entrenched as to be threatened by a candidate who promises a real solution for some of the many struggles in Malawi. What boggles me is the willingness of those in power to fabricate these stories about you that just aren't true. This smear campaign is worse than regular mudslinging. It's defamation of character. Regardless, hang in there. I know that it's discouraging now, but know that your time in Malawi was not wasted.

    ReplyDelete